Friday, August 7, 2015

CABINET WITH DROP LEAF TOP AND MORE

This little project was a fun one, where the customer wanted a drop leaf on the right side.
   But once we got started on the job she came back with perhaps we better add a drop leaf 
to the left side also. my reply was no problem, what ever you want.
With that said, she had one more request.
Robert can you build me a hidden compartment into the cabinet ?
I told her that I would sleep on it, and actually the construction had already begun
and no design was figured into it,  for a hidden compartment.
So with a little thought I came up with an idea for what limited space I had.
The face frame rail below the drawer was the only space available, and the rail was only 
2" wide. So I started by installing a permanent 1/8" dust panel just under the drawer space.
That gave me an 1 3/4" to play with and so it goes.
Oh and I don't believe in hidden compartments in drawers as they can be stolen.
Now this lil cabinet was being built for a 27"wide wall so keeping the drop leafs tucked in as close as possible called for off set hinges which allowed the leafs to lay slightly under the top when down and
to roll up right around the profile when lifted into position, once in place a slide pulled out to keep them level.
Oh and this was an oak construction cabinet with a Minwax golden oak stain and clear coat.
Now some of the pictures of this cabinet are during construction, but self explanatory.




No comments:

Post a Comment